Hunger In America- Feeding America:
Millions of children and families living in America face hunger and food insecurity every day.
- According to the USDA’s 2019 Household Food Insecurity in the United States report, more than 37 million people in the United States struggle with hunger.
- In 2018, 14.3 million American households were food insecure with limited or uncertain access to enough food.
- Households with children are more likely to experience food insecurity. Currently, more than 11 million children live in food-insecure households.
- Every community in the country is home to families who struggle with food insecurity including rural and suburban communities.
- Many households that experience food insecurity do not qualify for federal nutrition programs and need to rely on their local food banks and other hunger relief organizations for support.
- Read more about Hunger in America from Feeding America
Hunger In the Carolinas:
Get the facts about hunger in North and South Carolina
Though many of us may not realize the grave disparities that exist in our own communities, people struggle with hunger in every county and congressional district in North and South Carolina. They could be our neighbors, kids in our children’s classes – the possibilities go on.
1 in 7 people
in the Carolinas struggles with hunger
1 in 5 children in the Carolinas struggles with hunger
In North Carolina, 1,503,050 people are struggling with hunger – and of them 461,630 are children.
In South Carolina, 679,990 people are struggling with hunger – and of them 202,110 are children.
Feeding the Carolinas is there to help
Delivering food and services
Feeding the Carolinas is a multi-state network of 10 food banks and over 3,800 food pantries and meal programs that provides food and services to people each year. Together, we are the nation’s only multi-state hunger-relief organization. When you contribute to Feeding the Carolinas, you are joining our efforts in nearly every community in all 146 counties in the Carolinas.
Want to get involved? Here’s how.
Your dollars make a difference. Every dollar you donate helps feed hungry children, families, seniors and veterans.Click to Donate
Find a Food Bank
Our multi-state network unites ten member food banks to feed every community, every day.Find a Food Bank
Get Involved - Volunteering During COVID19
Volunteers are Needed More than Ever - With Safety Precautions in PlaceFind Out More About Volunteering